Two or three mos. ago, John Van Niel wrote about spotting a "new" Osprey nest
on a power pole on the left side of Gravel Rd., heading towards Seneca Falls,
about one tenth of a mile off Rte. 318.

Today I was on my way to Seneca Falls to Sauder's Mennonite store from the
Glenwood Mennonite store on 318 & decided to go a bit farther (maybe a mi. to
turn left onto Gravel Rd.) to check out the nest. I was able to see 2 heads
sticking up from the nest :>)  ..... Also saw heads on 3 of the Rte. 5 & 20
nests.

Soooooo, another active Osprey nest. Wonder how many are in the area around the
refuge & around Cayuga Lake basin. I know of 12. Guess I'll have to be more
watchful!

The number of Chimney Swifts have increased in the last few wks. so I'm
wondering if I'm seeing youngsters or if more were actually around than I had
time to watch for. Certainly more are up here over our house instead of most
staying down over the village. I miss the Tree Swallows. Lots of Barn Swallows
but not as many as I usually see. Starlings!!!! Oh my!!!! Far too many. They
sure love the mulberries & make "bombing" runs on the cars & siding.

Hordes of Jap beetles made their unwelcome appearance last wk. & are quickly
decimating leaves & flowers. Can't remember which birds supposedly eat them ..
maybe Redwings & Robins. I hope.

Hope lots of you enjoyed the fireworks in Dryden. If we still lived in Dryden
we would have had a full view from our Lee Rd. house.

Fritzie