> But I was musing about how birding and optics have changed. But now
> I am thinking maybe I should go back bare basics. Just use good old
> eyes and go closer to see birds!  Or look for those birds that are
> visible!   Do we really need to spend so much of money to see birds
> that far away? Anyway I thought I will share this with others and
> see what others think.

Hi Meena,

If your competitive urges can be squelched, and you're not feeling
left out of the high-definition telescopic fun, you can certainly go
back to birding without top optics. It should offer some interesting
stalking challenges (though you wouldn't practice at Knox-Marcellus),
and I'm sure you could approach the whole thing as a kind of special
training.  I've heard that at a certain point in Ski Rescue training
they take away your poles, and you're sent out day after day to
traverse extremely rugged terrain with just the skis (and a pack on
your back, of course).

-Geo

Geo Kloppel
Bowmaker & Restorer