This BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER was present late Saturday, very
close to the photo blind parking area, and the wildlife drive just past it.
Look at Diana's beautiful photos.  That's what Ann & I saw, the best
views ever of this species for either of us.  Thanks, Diana & Carol!
The wildlife drive was open today all the way to the bend in the road,
and the new shorebird area had similarly wonderful close views of
AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER (an actual one-legged bird), a
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER, several PECTORAL SANDPIPERS,
plus at only slightly greater distance a WILSON'S SNIPE, a few
LEAST SANDPIPERS, several SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS,
a few GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and greater numbers of KILLDEER
and LESSER YELLOWLEGS.  The detail we could see on these birds
was positively disorienting at times.  Kudos to Montezuma NWR for
making this new shorebird habitat!  Does anybody know its name?
Meanwhile a SOLITARY SANDPIPER was at the outlet to the Seneca
River near the beginning of the Wildlife Drive.

We spent so much time ogling the Buff-breasted Sandpiper that we
skipped the visitor center in order to get to May's Point Pool where the
IBIS and the LITTLE BLUE HERON were both still present along with
plenty of other waterbirds and shorebirds.  Responding to reports of
the RUFF and the RED KNOT being seen from East Road, we went
there last, but missed them.  We blamed fading light.  Best of luck to
those still trying for either of these birds.

On our way north late this afternoon we paused alongside NYS 96
in the town of Ulysses for scope views of a very high, very distant,
and fairly large (dozens of birds) kettle of Buteos that were surely
BROAD-WINGED HAWKS.  Also present were several TURKEY
VULTURES and a RED-TAILED HAWK (both were more low & local),
a high southbound BALD EAGLE, and a circling FALCON sp.  On
the subject of raptors, we saw several OSPREY around Montezuma
NWR, a PEREGRINE FALCON flying over and perching near May's
Point Pool, and an AMERICAN KESTREL west of NYS 89 just south
of the railroad tracks south of 5&20.

--Dave Nutter