As others have mentioned, the early spring waterfowl spectacle is in full
swing at the south end of Cayuga Lake.  In addition to continuing numbers of
divers, including over 1500 CANVASBACK and at least as many Redhead mixed
with both scaup and Ring-necked Ducks, the migrant dabblers have begun to
trickle in, with 7+ AMERICAN WIGEON, 7+ GADWALL, 9 NORTHERN PINTAIL, and 1
WOOD DUCK.  Additionally, a male WHITE-WINGED SCOTER (heat shimmer was bad,
but looked like an immature male? Can't be sure.) was out diving with some
goldeneye to the north, and a female/immature SURF SCOTER was on the fringe
of the Canvasback flock at the east end.  The shimmer was intense, but I'm
fairly certain I saw the two Mute Swans with over 30 Tundras on the west
side.  I had 16, so with a couple more merganser species (which I suspect
were out there), Ruddy Duck, and the arrival of a teal or other spring
dabblers, one could break 20 species of ducks from this location.

I saw no waterfowl in the north end of Dryden Lake this morning.  As I
walked into the Lab of Ornithology just now, a COMMON RAVEN flew in from the
north, calling, and perched on the telephone pole above the Fuller Wetlands
for a few minutes before returning to the north.

Cheers.
Jay McGowan
Dryden, NY