From: bounce-8671320-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-8671320-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of John Confer
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:05 PM
To: Candace Cornell
Cc: cayugabirds-l
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Why don't RTHA eat all the pheasants at the game
farm?

Hi Folks,

    I have talked with the Game Farm manager. He told me that they try to
release about 130,000 pheasant each fall, that the captive flock starts in fall
at about 35,000, and that they loose about 7000 to predation every year. Since
the potential for the weight of snow and ice on the screen prohibit the use of
screen on top for about 200 days of the year, that means about 35 eaten per
day. This winter the count may be higher. There is the mega-number of hawks
now, but when the first remove the over-the-top screen in early fall there
aren't as many predators around, and before they but it back in spring, there
aren't as many hawks then either. So, even though there may be more than 35
eaten per day now, an average of 35 per day for the entire period of no-screen
seems reasonable to me.

    I must admit that I get some satisfaction from seeking hunting license
dollars going to feed red-tails. After all, we birders loose the pleasure of
seeing so many things due to hunting, it is nice to have some turn around.

    I wonder how many owls eat there?

    I wonder if juvenile red-tails have a lower efficiency of capture than the
adults?

Cheers,

John