From: bounce-9181465-3518...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-9181465-3518...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Meena Haribal
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:28 PM
To: cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Snow Geese and others

Hi all,
I went to north side of the lake, specially in search of Snow Geese. I was
not disappointed. Along the Drake Road, I found some tom Turkeys under usual
feeders.  Center Road was quiet except for couple of Horned Larks. But as I
was passing the road, I encountered my first flock of Snow Geese passing
over me heading somewhere along 34 B.  By the time I got the camera out, the
birds were gone. But I considered that as a good omen for things to come
ahead next.
After a short detour on 90, I took my favorite Dixon road from Rafferty.
Nothing special but many robins along the road, a flock of about 100
grackles with a few Red-winged mixed in and a Kestrel. At the end of the
road I headed down to the lake, which comes out at Aurora Fire Station.
Along the lake north, I stopped at Factory Pond. As Bill noted it was devoid
of any ducks, but sleeping Screechie. At the same spot there was a very
entertaining Starling doing all kinds of mimicry including Meadow Lark. So I
spent some time with him trying my camera.

Next, I stopped at Cayuga Village road just off of 90. Here I encountered
huge flocks of Snow Geese flying overhead, which I found were heading to
other side of the lake as the lake was mostly frozen around this area. There
were many ducks but I did not spend time watching them as I was on an
assignment, so shot some B rolls. I went to the water's edge at Cayuga park
where I encountered Jay et al.

Along Lake Road, I got a nice Common Goldeneye. Then headed to visitor
Center for a short stop. Then I headed to Mucklands via East Road. From East
Road, I could see huge flocks of Snow Geese in the muck. So I headed
directly there. From both sides of the road there were thousands of Snow
Geese and were just abut 300 mt from the road. I parked at the Potato
building and hid behind the building and watched and took shots (not with
guns but with a camera). I spent an hour or so when my battery died.
When the whole group on the east side of the road rose, it made such a
swishing noise, it was soothing and hypnotic and amazing. Some took off and
other landed far side of the Muckland. As my battery had died, I wanted to
recharge it, so decided to drive to Carncrass road. While my batter was
charging on my car battery, I watched and took videos of Tundra Swans and
their behaviors. I just watched the shots on my TV and so many amazing
behaviors they seem to have. While I was there several thousands of Snow
Geese went north of Carncrass road, to feed I think. But watching them
overhead, made me feel dizzy as they made several kinds of patterns, V, U,
M, N and Xs. I watched one X it had amazing movements, one group went west
and other group east, but maintained that X for quite some time. I shot some
part of it and watched it home, it was mind boggling as to how could they do
that.

As always when I watch these movements, I keep thinking who were the members
of each groups, where they random or were they belonging to a specific clan?
If they are clans, how do they keep in touch with each other? What is the
cue to decide to take off? So many things I would like to learn, but I guess
we may need a few more years if not decades to find answers to these
questions with the modern technology.

By the time I headed back, there were no Snow Geese in the Mucklands.
Mucklands seems to be a location with very dynamic activities.

Near Tschache channel, there were a few male Hooded Mergansers displaying to
a couple of females. I stopped a little ahead and wanted to walk back
without alarming them. But some how they sensed my intention,  so they
scooted.

On the way back I took again back roads. Near Warrick and another town
(forget name) Townline, I ran into another flock of Snow Geese feeding in
the cornfield. I also ran across Greg and Susan at this point. From here I
headed straight to lab to take care of something. As I was entering BTI
parking lot, again I ran into a Snow Geese flock consisting about 400 birds.
As I ran up, my colleague, told me that she has been watching Geese pass by
most of the day.

Happy birding everyone!

Cheers
 Meena