I was stunned to look out my window a few minutes ago to see a brilliant male
RED-HEADED WOODPECKER in my yard at the bottom of Culver Road (southwest town
of Ithaca). The bird landed first on a small sunflower seed feeder where two
brilliant male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were feeding. I was busy appreciating
the black/white/red spring extravaganza (and the sunshine) when it intensified
as the woodpecker flew to the feeder, then to a branch of the big maple above,
appeared to cache a piece of suet, then disappeared to the east. I haven't been
able to refind the bird as of this writing.

This isn't far from where, last year (?) someone reported a RED-HEADED
WOODPECKER at Old Hundred at the corner of Bostwick Rd. and Five Mile Dr.

Lisa Wood
Ithaca