Hi Folks,
This is a new one for me: yesterday we had what looked just like a Hairy Woodpecker, but with a completely black breast and belly. I didn't get a good look, so can't say exactly where the black began and ended, but it was extensive. I've scoured the bird book and don't see any other species that looks like it. The head and back were "normal Hairy Woodpecker." Is anyone studying them and dying them locally? Is it a genetic mutation? Was it really dirty? (Didn't look like dirt.) Has anyone ever seen this before?

Sandy Podulka