On Wednesday morning in Sapsucker Woods, I found an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER
on a tall dead tree near the lone bench south of the Sherwood Platform.  I
watched this bird for about 20 minutes, hoping for a front view, which I
never really got.  Presumably soaked from the downpour within the previous
hour, this bird engaged in a few bouts of furious preening.  At certain
moments, the bird's white tufts were invisible.  At others, they poked out
along the bird's sides.  Mostly, though, the tufts showed boldly above the
folded wings on the bird's back.  They looked like the eyes on Spider-Man's
mask.

Otherwise I found mostly the same species mix along the Wilson Trail as in
recent days.  The warbler-watching continues to be very good, with multiple
MAGNOLIA, CHESTNUT-SIDED, BLACKBURNIAN, BLACKPOLL (nice views of both male
and female), CANADA, and migrant NORTHERN WATERTHRUSHES, plus single
MOURNING (probable, heard singing once then chipping), WILSON'S, and
BLACK-THROATED GREEN.   Tennessee Warblers are conspicuously absent, maybe
because they're all joining the throngs at the Hawthorn Orchard.

YELLOW-THROATED VIREO is still singing along the south edge of the pond.  In
the woods, I saw one SWAINSON'S THRUSH, as well as the breeding pair of
SCARLET TANAGERS.  The tanagers were together in a small tree near Sally
Sutcliffe's memorial bench.

In the early evening on Tuesday, my daughter Francesca and I made yet
another circuit of the Wilson Trail.  We saw rather few birds, but did see
one Blackpoll Warbler from Ruth Davis's arbor and bench south of the
building.  This bird, a life sighting for Francesca, was perched completely
still in a pine for several minutes.  I thought that we might be able to
watch this bird all the way until sleep or migration takeoff at sundown, but
alas, a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK chose that moment to buzz the east shore of the
pond, setting off a great multispecies chorus of alarm calls, led by ringing
Red-winged Blackbirds everywhere.  When we looked back at the pine, the
Blackpoll was gone.

Mark Chao