Not much change here. Still the same mob of singing Tennessee Warblers (not actually as boring as it sounds!), the apple tree full of Indigo Buntings. the migrant Magnolias and Black-throated Blues and all the rest. I had about four CANADA WARBLERS on presumed territories along the brook, several territorial Hooded Warblers, etc. Leaf-out is pretty advanced now, but I think that's a Broad- winged Hawk's tail I can see protruding over the edge of the stick- nest. I also found a SWAINSON'S THRUSH on the ground this morning.

I carelessly dropped Eastern Phoebe and Black-capped Chickadee into the wrong list in a post I made a few days ago. These birds are now incubating, not feeding young like the Robins and the Ravens! I watched with interest as the Phoebe built her clutch, one egg per day. She finished three days ago with five eggs. No cowbird eggs have appeared! To outwit the Cowbird that I had observed scouting their nest, the Phoebes employed a stratagem that was so simple it's hard to believe it worked: they abandoned the scouted nest under the northside eaves of my tiny workshop, leaving a bunch of long horsehairs dangling in plain sight. (For years I've been putting discarded bowhair out for the birds, and often find sparrow's nests lined with it.) Then they built a new nest under the southside eaves. The new location is scarcely twelve feet away from the old, but offers the advantage of concealment behind vegetation. The Phoebes left even more exuberant streamers of horsehair dangling from the new nest, but these are easily overlooked behind the foliage. I have not seen Phoebes use horsehair this way before, and wonder how they came to take up the practice.

-Geo

Geo Kloppel
Bowmaker & Restorer
227 Tupper Road