Perri and I went up the lake today to take a look at the Red-headed
Woodpeckers.  We found both birds at the edge of the woodlot on the east
side of Rt. 90 just south of Poplar Ridge.  One bird was calling frequently
and we saw both birds visit a cavity, possibly a nest hole.  This hole is in
the largest sycamore near the west edge of the lot and more or less centered
north-south, in a narrow dead drunk in the middle of the main sycamore
trunks.  One bird spent several minutes inside but I don't know what it was
doing, possibly just prospecting or perhaps they even have an active nest
already.

We headed up to Montezuma afterwards but didn't see too much of note.  The
best shorebird habitat by far is at Tschache Pool, where we saw Dunlin,
Least and Semipalmated sandpipers, and perhaps 30 Semipalmated Plovers.

Good birding.

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library