Thanks for Jay's good description of the location of the RED HEADED WOODPECKERS
in the woods at the south end of Aurora (SE cor. of NY Rt. 90 and Poplar Ridge
Rd.)!

I spent an hour and a half there today (~1-2:30 pm) and even saw the pair mate
on a branch of the large Sycamore tree near Rt. 90.
They did not do anything with the large holes in that tree, but kept flying
east, back into the woods. That woods goes on for quite a ways up P. Ridge
Road, so maybe they have a more secluded hole picked out for a nest.

Also, now and then one flew across the street towards the lake and worked the
trees over there. I observed quite a bit of vehicular traffic on that corner
and now I am worried that one of the woodpeckers might fly too low at the wrong
time.

Saw one woodpecker fly out of the Sycamore and catch a red bug in the air.

If you go, don't wear shorts, as I foolishly did. Lotsa thorny plants and
poison ivy.

-Donna Scott

Donna L. Scott
535 Lansing Station Road