Hi Chris, you wrote:

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum)  1     *Local/Rare in
summer. This bird was NOT up the far hillside (!!), but along the main
trail system right where the trail crosses the railroad tracks.

Yes. At the L-P Preserve at this time of year, after the young have fledged, certain warblers that are expected on the steep slopes or even atop the pinnacles can be found in the valley woods instead. Also true in spring before nesting gets underway. In the spring of 1997 two male Cerulean Warblers turned up in the valley woods (the 'Blumner Woods', south of the big Liriodendrons). Several days later these same two (presumed) had taken up territories atop the pinnacles, where they continued countersinging for some weeks. It's a long round-about or an arduous climb for us, but a very short flight for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some breeding Parulas somewhere in the area. A few weeks ago I noticed some amazing lichens bearding the spruces along Sulphur Springs Creek in the Danby State Forest.

-Geo