I visited Sapsucker Woods on Friday morning, entering via the Winston Court
apartments and the West Trail.   South of the Sherwood Platform, I met Sahas
Barve, who has just come here from Bombay to pursue a Ph.D. in biology (bird
population studies).  Then, for the next 20 minutes, Sahas and I could
hardly keep up with the frenetic bird activity, triggered by direct sunlight
incident on the edge of the cold shadowy woods.  We saw BAY-BREASTED,
MAGNOLIA, BLACK-THROATED BLUE (1 M, 1 F), BLACK-THROATED GREEN (1 M, 1 F or
subadult), and WILSON'S WARBLER, plus a couple of PHILADELPHIA VIREOS and a
lot of Red-eyed Vireos and Eastern Wood-Pewees.  I feel that we probably
missed many other birds in this flock.

I also visited the east side of the sanctuary alone.  There I heard a few
scattered birds that I think were warblers, but I saw only one AMERICAN
REDSTART.  On my way back out again, I saw a migrating COOPER'S HAWK and the
morning's biggest surprise, a flock of at least 9 WILD TURKEYS crossing the
road.

Mark Chao