I had a couple of high-quality encounters with LINCOLN'S SPARROWS in the
Freese Road gardens on Friday morning.  In the tidiest of the southernmost
plots, just where I saw one Lincoln's Sparrow the other day, I watched two
simultaneously on adjacent posts this morning.  It was the first of my many
Lincoln's Sparrow quests ever rewarded with a sighting of two at once.  One
of these sparrows issued flight calls at least four times while perched.
Another highly similar call came from further south, as if responding.

Later, along the line of trees at the lip of the ravine, I had another lucky
sighting of Lincoln's Sparrow.  This one perched twenty feet away for
several minutes, stretching occasionally but mostly just relaxing and
looking blank.  Then it flew into the deep grasses south of the gardens,
where it seemed to stay perfectly still again, creating no movement in the
vegetation.

Otherwise, the variety of birds was about what one would expect - many Song
Sparrows, several Field Sparrows, a few Savannah Sparrows, one Swamp
Sparrow, several Indigo Buntings, and one western PALM WARBLER preening
itself for a long time in the same plot as the Lincoln's Sparrows.  Jay
McGowan told me that he also saw a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW and a CHIPPING
SPARROW; both are firsts of the season here for either of us.

Then I paid a brief visit to the Dryden side of Sapsucker Woods.  Despite
last night's big wave of thrushes, I found only an honorary Catharus (an
OVENBIRD) but no real ones south of the gated trailhead.  I also found a two
very bright BLACKPOLL WARBLERS under the power lines and a rather late
BROAD-WINGED HAWK circling over the woods.

Mark Chao