I went to Sapsucker Woods this afternoon hoping to see one of the Gray-cheeked Thrushes that have been reported lately.  Although I did not have success there, eventually I did find a congener and a good variety of other migrant songbirds.

I started on the Dryden side at the little parking lot.  Between there and the south end of the Woodleton Boardwalk I encountered a flock of BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES, and 1 each MAGNOLIA WARBLER, NASHVILLE WARBLER, BROWN CREEPER, BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER, and female/young AMERICAN REDSTART, plus 3 other warblers I did not see well enough to ID.

Birds along the embankment which hides 91 Sapsucker from the trail, and by the western bench by the frog pond, included AMERICAN ROBIN, NORTHERN CARDINAL, BLUE JAY, GRAY CATBIRD, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW.

I also walked alot of trail on both sides of the road with little to show for it, but when I got to the south end of the Podell Boardwalk I found 3 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, another unidentified warbler, an EASTERN PHOEBE, a BLUE-HEADED VIREO, a RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, 2 AMERICAN ROBINS, and a SWAINSON'S THRUSH.

There were also HAIRY, DOWNY, and RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS, plus WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH, and TUFTED TITMOUSE various places.  Near the feeders at the Lab entrance there was a SONG SPARROW and a male RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD.

--Dave Nutter