While rehairing violin bows at my workbench this afternoon, I heard the soft chattering of a Carolina Wren as it flew up under the eaves and began to hunt for insects and spiders. This is a pretty common occurrence at my shop, so I didn't bother craning my neck for a view, but a few minutes later when a bird flew out to a nearby brushpile in direct view from my bench, I picked up the bins and took a look, expecting to see the wren. The bird in the brushpile was a Swainson's Thrush. I watched it for several minutes through bins, and then a second bird flew into the same field of view. In the tiny fraction of a second required to foveate the new arrival, I anticipated another thrush, but the bird was a Carolina Wren.

-Geo