-----Original Message-----
From: linda_zie...@fws.gov [mailto:linda_zie...@fws.gov]
Sent: Fri 10/7/2011 3:44 PM
To: bigbo...@friendsofmontezuma.org
Cc: tpbi...@mac.com; tom_jasik...@fws.gov; bill_stew...@fws.gov;
nancy_es...@fws.gov; louise_da...@fws.gov; andrea_vanbeusic...@fws.gov;
jeff_r_gra...@fws.gov; scott_stipet...@fws.gov; tasha_dani...@fws.gov;
fmmor...@gw.dec.state.ny.us; jteck...@gw.dec.state.ny.us;
michaelobrie...@gmail.com; fmmor...@gw.dec.state.ny.us
Subject: Birding Volunteer Opportunities!

We have four exciting volunteer opportunities coming up in October and
November.

As you may be aware, volunteers (Larue St. Clair and Jackie Bakker) and
regional US Fish and Wildlife Service staff (Michael O'Brien) do weekly
waterbird surveys in refuge emergent marshes.  They do an excellent job,
however, in many marshes, the vegetation is so thick that it is impossible
for them to get an accurate count.  This not only makes it seem as though
there are less birds here than there really are.  It also makes it seem as
though this thick vegetation is not providing good habitat.  To mitigate
this detectability issue, we will be conducting flush counts in refuge
impoundments with thick vegetation.  Larue, Jackie, and Mike will do their
regular survey and immediately following their survey, we will flush the
birds out of the impoundment and count them.  This way, we can compare the
number initially counted to the number that is flushed to get some sense
of the percent of birds present that are actually counted.  We need a lot
of volunteers to assist with the counting, and we hope you can help!  We
will need you to be here for about three hours total.  Please let me know
if you can make it for any of these surveys.  If I don't get enough
volunteers for any of these days I will reschedule so please let me know
if you plan to be here - thanks!

Friday, October 14 - Meet at the refuge office at 12:00 to survey Tschache
Pool.
Wednesday, October 19 - Meet at the refuge office at 8:00 to survey the
Sandhill Crane Unit.
Friday, October 21 - Meet at the refuge office at 12:00 to survey
Knox-Marsellus Marsh.
Wednesday, November 9 - Meet at the refuge office at 10:30 to survey the
Main Pool.  (This date is tentative.)

Thank you!

Linda Chorba Ziemba
Wildlife Biologist
Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge
3395 Routes 5/20 East
Seneca Falls, NY 13148
Phone:  315-568-5987 ext. 225
Fax:  315-568-8835

Georgena - please forward this request to the Friends membership.  Thanks!