Chris Wood's eBird post from his first sighting contains notes that describe the field marks distinguishing the grebe from a Clark's Grebe:

Anne Marie Johnson

On 2/4/2012 9:08 PM, david nicosia wrote:
I got a comment on my flickr account saying that the western grebe photos
I posted look more like a clark's grebe. This forced me to do a little research
on this as I have never been out west to have to learn to distinguish between
these two similar species.

The white lore would suggest a clark's grebe in non-breeding plumage
but I have read in several field guides and on-line that western
grebes in non-breeding can show this too. The bill on the bird
I saw today was definitively olive-yellow and I had good lighting.
Is this the main field mark that is making this a
Western Grebe to everyone?  Has anyone considered this could
be a clark's grebe? Just curious to what other's thought process was
on this.  Thanks.

Dave Nicosia