Many of the Turkey Vultures here in the northern part of the Basin actually
roost in Auburn, in and near Fort Hill Cemetery. Last week when I arrived at
the parking lot of Auburn United Methodist Church on Fitch, I stood to watch
the birds circling in and landing in the Norway Spruces that line the western
edge of the lot. Suddenly a shot rang out and about 50 vultures were startled
out of the trees. While I doubt they were in physical danger, evidently someone
in the neighborhood is either thinking the birds pose a problem in the area, or
is just thinking it's fun to harass them. Either way, it's wrong. I had to get
inside for choir rehearsal or I would have at least walked down the street a
ways to see if I could locate the source of the shot. Any ideas on how to deal
with this? Kathy Strickland, Union Springs