Mark's comment that "we didn't ever lose sight of the bird for too long" highlights a difference in perspective between someone who unexpectedly saw an unusual bird very well (him) versus someone who heard about the unusual bird but arrived to hear "it just ran away a minute ago" (me). It seemed to me like a long time before Tom Schulenberg re-found it, then a long time before I could see it, then a long time before we were able to show it to Livia and others who had no search image for such a strange life bird. The bittern mostly stood still in head-up, very-effective-camouflage pose, but then would silently walk out of view every few minutes, often just as someone new was searching for it. Eventually I got good enough at seeing it that I was able to be the one to re-find it. I not only had great views but great search practice. Hint: look for the place that doesn't quite focus properly.
--Dave Nutter
PS - Apologies for not posting to CayugaRBA. I didn't have enough space to add "CayugaRBA" but in retrospect probably could've shortened the message enough to send