What a day. 89 species and some exciting surprises.
Led SFO group 7 and our first stop was Sweedler-Lick
Brook and the fields around. Not much at the brook...
no Louisiana Waterthrushes yet and did not hear blue-headed
vireos yet. We had most of the common birds including
black-capped chickadees, tufted titmice, dark-eyed juncos etc.
Did get great looks at 3-4 FIELD SPARROWS nearby
and 2 EASTERN BLUEBIRDS.

At Sandbank Road, got great views of 2 EASTERN
MEADOWLARKS and heard a few SAVANNAH
SPARROWS.

By the far, the best and most surprising spot was
Freese Road. We walked up the road and did not
get the vesper sparrows initially, instead there
were at least 100 american robins in the fields. We did
have a fly-over AMERICAN PIPIT. Then, all of the
sudden, there was a low-flying SHORT-EARED OWL!
The bird flushed from the grasses below and flew around
in several circles over our SFO group. Lighting was good
and everyone got breath-taking views of this beautiful
bird. The bird eventually met up with a NORTHERN
HARRIER and then landed for a short time before an
AMERICAN CROW started to harass it. The bird
then took off and gradually worked its way northward
out of sight! I have never got such a great look at a flying
SHORT-EARED OWL as it was mid day and the
lighting was excellent. Then after all this, we had a small
kettle of BROAD-WINGED HAWKS overhead.
Then toward the end we got on 2 VESPER SPARROWS.
Our SFO group ended with 50 species.

Then I birded with fellow Broome County birders
Nancy Morgan and Melissa Penta. We drove up
to Montezuma and met up with Chris Wood and
Andy Guthrie and birded the Montezuma Visitor's
center and wildlife drive.  There were NORTHERN
SHOVELORS, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, BLUE-WINGED
TEAL, GADWALL, among others.

At Benning marsh, the shorebirds continue. Chris
and Andy counted, I believe, 46 WILSON'S SNIPE.
There were around a dozen PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS, 4 DUNLIN  and both GREATER
and LESSER YELLOWLEGS.   And we had at
least 1 KILLDEER.

Andy left and then the rest of the trip was Chris, Nancy,
Melissa and I. We stopped at May's point and
had bufflehead, a double crested cormorant, green-winged
teal, hooded merganser, pied-billed grebes, ring-billed gull,
osprey, bald eagle, northern harrier and a flyover
SANDHILL CRANE!  There was also a PEREGRINE
FALCON that buzzed through May's point. We also heard a
RUSTY BLACKBIRD across the road by the pond.

Next stop was Towpath Road, and yes, the road is graded
and very nice. We had a lot of birds on towpath road, I
probably will miss some but the most unusual was a
GLAUCOUS GULL which Chris spotted flying over
Knox-Marcellus Marsh toward east road. We also heard
and got an unsatisfying look at a CASPIAN TERN flying
way up high.

Other birds at Towpath-
FOX SPARROW, GREAT EGRET, loads of GREAT BLUE
HERONs, many species of waterfowl, including one left-over
SNOW GOOSE. There were many GREEN WINGED TEAL,
and some BLUE-WINGED TEAL. We also had a nice group
of RUDDY DUCKS, some in breeding plumage. Also
RING-NECKED DUCKS.

Next stop was Seneca County Fairgrounds and right away
we had 2 UPLAND SANDPIPERS which gave us great views.
Then they started flying around, some went very high and
eventually we counted 4 uppies. Great birds! Chris heard
a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW which took me a few
attempts but I eventually got on it. He was not singing much
and we did not see it.  There were also HORNED LARKS,
EASTERN MEADOWLARKS and SAVANNAH SPARROWS.

Like I said in the beginning, what a day!
Thanks to my SFO group, Nancy Morgan, Melissa Penta, Andy
Guthrie and of course Chris Wood who all made this such an
awesome day of birds!!

Dave Nicosia
Johnson City, NY