Hello all,

The Cortland CBC took place last Saturday (Dec 17) and it was a record
breaker in many ways.
Combining the ridiculously warm late fall weather and a perfect storm of a
warm few days followed by
our coldest night of the year that led to a great goose movement, we broke
the previous count day
record of 75 species (set last year). We had 77 species on the day of the
count (maybe 78 depending on
whether I count the Mute Swans on Mclean Rd) including a few count day
firsts. The count day firsts
were ROSS' GOOSE (Chris Wood and Jessie Barry), GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE
(Cris and Jessie; I
had 7 count week birds a couple years ago), GRAY CATBIRD (Peter Harity and
party at Lime Hollow) and
FISH CROW (Matt Young) at the cemetery off of Rte 13 in Cortland (heard 7-8
times over the past 3
weeks including this morning 12/22). This is a bird I've looked for in
Cortland for years....I knew they
had to be in Cortland. I've heard as many as 2 birds.

There were several count highs (Canada Goose 20,000+, Snow Goose 2000+,
15-20 Ravens, 3
Goshawks, 200+ PINE SISKINS) and several other really good species such as
RUSTY BLACKBIRD (10th
time ever), COMMON GRACKLE ( we had the blackbird sweep with BH cowbirds
and RW Blackbirds),
HERMIT THRUSH (3rd time ever but second time in last 3 years), GOLDEN EAGLE
(loafing juvy being
harassed by Raven for 20+ minutes --seen by myself and Dave McCartt; 3 time
in last 7 years), 2
ADULT BALD EAGLES, 3 NORTHERN GOSHAWKS (probably will be the North America
high; Jim Barry's
group had 2), EASTERN TOWHEE (5th time ever seen by Governali's),
GREEN-WINGED TEAL (male and
female on Cold Brook seen by myself and Dave; 3rd time ever), and 6
CACKLING GEESE (one by us, one
by McGowan's, 2 by Ken R., Jeff G. and Tim L and 2 by Chris and Jessie).
Other good species for the
count were NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD, 2 CAROLINA WRENS, 16 WHITE-WINGED
CROSSBILLS (2nd high
count) and ~65 PURPLE FINCHES (also a count high), 2 American Kestrels and
~10 Rough-legged
Hawks.  The owl count was good too with LONG-EARED OWL, N. SAW-WHET OWL,
Barred Owl, Great-
horned Owl, and E. Screech-Owl.  Lastly, I saw what I would classify as a
Cassiar's Junco (a subspecies
of junco) on Cold Brook Rd...bird was very orange on flank with orange
bleeding into back, and
demarcation on breast looking concave-like.

Now, you ask where the weather taketh species, well, we missed Snow Bunting
(barely got Horned Lark
with 2), and typical duck species that are found at the south end of
Skaneateles Lake that get pushed
down after the first big cold snap ---Bufflehead, Lesser Scaup and often
Redhead. Other notable
misses were Red Crossbill, N. Harrier, YB Sapsucker, Swamp Sparrow and
Merlin (missed for first time
in 6 years). As far the overall species numbers, we have had higher numbers
when counting count
week birds......in 2005-06 we had 71 +9 CW, in 2009-10 we had 74 + 4 CW and
last year we had 75
+3CW. Overall though, it was a great day to be out!

cheers,
Matt Young

P.S. The New Woodstock-Southern Highlands count is on Thursday Dec 29. Let
me know if you want to
help!