>From about 11:45am to 12:45pm, I did some sky watching today in the area of
the Cornell Business and Technology Park. Not nearly as many migrating
raptors as yesterday.I think they are all Northwest of here. (Braddock Bay
Hawk Watch - Rochester - has counted some 4,000+ Broad-winged Hawks, as of
an 11:00am posting to Geneseebirds-L); however, those that I did see began
medium to high in altitude and then very rapidly became cloud-scraping high!
All raptors were migrating in a general SSW to NNE direction.

Totals during this time are:

4 Osprey

2 Sharp-shinned Hawks (1 a mere speck in the binoculars, scraping the bottom
of a cloud)

1 Cooper's Hawk

2 Red-tailed Hawks

1 American Kestrel

6 COMMON LOONS (at least one was extremely high, disappearing into the base
of a cloud; all of these are migrating SSE to NNW; these birds are
essentially migrating from the Chesapeake Bay region to well into Canada by
today's end).

Again, polarized sunglasses are must!

Good birding!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--

Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes

TARU Product Line Manager and Field Applications Engineer

Bioacoustics Research Program, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

159 Sapsucker Woods Road, Ithaca, New York 14850

W: 607-254-2418   M: 607-351-5740   F: 607-254-1132

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/brp