Hi Marilyn,

This article from the Smithsonian National Zoo covers your question:

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/fact_sheets/default.cfm? fxsht=3

-Geo

On Jun 26, 2011, at 9:06 AM, Marilyn Ray wrote:

Hello Birders,

The other day I got into my car just as a show about birds was ending on the car radio. I did not get to hear the name of the "expert" who was telling the audience about why cowbirds started leaving their eggs in the nests of other birds to hatch and raise their young. The "expert" said that the practice had its origins in the middle part of the country when cowbirds had traditionally followed the roaming buffalo herds and did not have time to lay and hatch their own eggs before the herd moved on and they had to follow.

Could someone please tell me if this story is true? If so, what was the food the birds got from following the buffalo that they could not get elsewhere?

Thanks,
Marilyn Ray