I know of at least 4 and probably 5 parties who looked around the mucklands for the Snowy Owl this morning, but I've not heard of any success.  Maybe the bird migrated overnight, but it's very possible that it simply chose a less visible place to spend the day.  For all we know it may have been doing so for a couple of weeks before revealing itself to Steve Fast yesterday. Anyway, it's still worth looking for.  Consolation prizes today included 15 SANDHILL CRANES together in a field south of NYS-31 toward the east, hundreds of TUNDRA SWANS, and a few NORTHERN PINTAIL mixed in the the MALLARDS and AMERICAN BLACK DUCKS in the wet places.  There were also plenty of CANADA GEESE, HERRING and RING-BILLED GULLS, and 1 adult BALD EAGLE.  On our return trip down the west side of Cayuga Lake we noted a bold white stripe on the water out from Poplar Beach Road, just south of Thee Amish Mall: probably a raft of a thousand or so SNOW GEESE.  On our way north we saw at least 3 COMMON LOONS close enough to ID at highway speed.
--Dave Nutter