I led an SFO trip up the lake on Saturday. I did not call birds until we
reached Martin's Tract. I used a tape to call in a Virginia Rail. A Sora
responded. A couple days before a Virginia Rail responded. There is also an
American Bittern calling from there and probably Marsh Wrens. (Both Gary
Kohlenberg and Tim Lenz heard the wren). I think using a tape is an okay
thing to do. I totally agree about NOT playing tapes when birds are
breeding.  That is taboo. Also pishing is okay until breeding season. If
you try to pish for sparrows, Song Sparrows might be the only one you hear.
 After breeding season for warblers and sparrows. I think it is a mixed bag.
Good Birding,
Ann
Up for disputes