This morning, I was at the Hawthorn Orchard (on the East Hill of Ithaca, NY)
from about 7:30am to 9:00am. Ran into several birders, including Chris Wood and
Jessie Barry with visitors from the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) – Andy
Clements (Director of BTO), Andy Musgrove (Director of Monitoring at BTO), and
Karen Wright (co-leader of Director of Information Technologies at BTO), who
were all excited to see some American warblers this morning!

There were certainly many more birds there today, since the departure of birds
from the fallout last week, including female migrants. Most of the birds
observed today were new migrants, with the exception of birds on territory or
local birds. Most birds were located in NE corner of Hawthorn Orchard.

Highlights:

1 Green Heron (still in the area of the Shagbark Hickory at the SW corner of
the Hawthorn Orchard, "growling")
4-5 Least Flycatchers
1 Great Crested Flycatcher
1 Blue-headed Vireo
1-2 Red-eyed Vireos
3-4 House Wrens
1 SWAINSON'S THRUSH (in the hedgerow East of the NE corner, near the softball
field)
5-6 Gray Catbirds

1-2 Tennessee Warblers (not very vocal at all)
4-5 Nashville Warblers
3-4 Northern Parulas (including 1 female)
2 Yellow Warblers
5-6 Chestnut-sided Warblers (including 2 females)
5-6 Magnolia Warblers
1-2 Black-throated Blue Warblers (one heard by Mark from California in Hawthorn
Orchard; later, one heard singing by me outside of Hawthorn Orchard to NW near
Black Oak Lane pond)
2 Yellow-rumped Warblers (before fog burn-off, landed in top of Cottonwood Tree
to NW of Hawthorn Orchard at East Ithaca Recreation Way; departed down into
Ravine, not heard or seen again later - moved to nearby cemetery?)
3-4 Black-throated Green Warblers (including 1 female)
1 Blackburnian Warbler (NW Hawthorn Orchard in oak tree)
1 Black-and-white Warbler (1 female, near tall oak tree at center East side of
Hawthorn Orchard)
6-7 American Redstarts (a couple of residents)
3 Ovenbirds (1 near tall oak tree along East side, one at NE corner, one down
hedgerow near softball field, all within minutes of each other, with repeat
singers heard)
3-4 Common Yellowthroats (resident birds)

3-4 White-throated Sparrows
1-2 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (ravine area)
1 Bobolink (flyover R2-D2 singer)
2-3 Baltimore Orioles

It was wet and muddy in there today, following the nice rains of the past
couple of days.

It just occurred to me that it is only 9 May - that's NINE of MAY! This is the
time when migrant birds only begin to arrive at the Hawthorn Orchard.
Hopefully, we will see several more waves of migrants over the next 15-20+ days!

Good birding!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes
TARU Product Line Manager and Field Applications Engineer