Date: May 9, 2012 9:33:06 PM EDT
To: "nfc-l@cornell. edu" <nf...@cornell.edu<mailto:nf...@cornell.edu>>
Subject: Night Migration 8-9 May 2012, Etna, NY

Last night, I recorded the night migration over Etna, NY from about 9:40pm
until dawn chorus, which started just before 5:00am. Again, this was using the
Evans-style flowerpot microphone, streaming the audio into my laptop running
Raven Pro. After saving the more identifiable or curious-sounding clips, I have
compiled a list of identified species, below, and their numbers. I attempted
not to duplicate individuals, which can often be identified using the doppler
shift effect when bird pass overhead, calling repeatedly. I did not take too
much time getting into the nitty-gritty of IDing challenging birds to species,
and instead, left those off the list.

This is in order of quantities of identified individuals:

77 - VEERY
38 - SWAINSON'S THRUSH
22 - WOOD THRUSH
12 - Common Yellowthroat (song @03:26, partial song @04:01)
10 - Ovenbird- or Black-throated Blue Warbler-like
7 - Chestnut-sided Warbler-like
6 - BLACK-BILLED CUCKOOS (song @02:30; NFCs at: 02:59, 03:09, 0310, 03:13,
03:26, 04:37, 04:43 - the cluster around 03:10 must have been a grouping of
individuals, since calls were slightly different in timbre)
6 - Solitary Sandpipers
5 - Bobolink
3 - Chipping Sparrow
3 - White-throated Sparrow
2 - Spotted Sandpiper
1 - American Redstart
1 - Black-and-white Warbler (00:02)
1 - Flying Squirrel (okay...not a bird, but... @04:12, our local squirrel)
1 - HERMIT THRUSH (03:49)
1 - LEAST FLYCATCHER (che-Beck! at 04:54, possibly a landed bird, though, not
heard again)
1 - UPLAND SANDPIPER (possible distant bird called at 23:53)
1 - VIRGINIA RAIL (01:37 - kek-kek....kek-kek calls)

There were probably a hundred or more calls whose sounds were not saved nor did
I bother to attempt to identify, because of the distance away and resulting
decreased amplitude of the calls.

Spring night listening is cool!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes
TARU Product Line Manager and Field Applications Engineer