Hi all,
My sister and I made a relatively brief trip up to Montezuma last
night. We didn't find anything too special (hence only posting now).
We went around the wildlife drive and found almost no shorebirds and
not really many waterfowl either, though the cooperative AMERICAN
BITTERN at Benning was out along the drive again. We looked from East
Road, where highlights were 16 SNOW GEESE (2 juvenile white, 2 adult
blue, and 12 adult white) feeding with several hundred Canada Geese, 7
SANDHILL CRANES, a juvenile PEREGRINE FALCON on the mudflat, and the
continuing AMERICAN AVOCET visible feeding in Puddlers. Lots of gulls
and cormorants still but no other discernible shorebirds other than a
few Greater Yellowlegs. We then spent two hours at Van Dyne Spoor Road
scanning blackbird flocks for Yellow-headed, but in vain. It certainly
could have been out there, we saw a lot of birds. Towards dusk
starling became the dominant species visible in the reeds, but
thousands of Red-winged Blackbirds came in before that and were
visible in large flocks in the distance, and several hundred Common
Grackles were also in tight flocks out in the marsh. We saw a few
Brown-headed Cowbirds and several RUSTY BLACKBIRDS as well. Other
highlights here were Black-crowned Night-Heron, 81 Pied-billed Grebes,
Sora, Common Gallinule, Palm Warbler, and flyover American Pipits.

-Jay

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library