Re the milo seed--yes, there was an interesting publication based on a
feeder-food preference study set up through the Citizen Science program at CLO
to document what seeds were preferred.  That was when the clear geographic
difference in use of milo was documented.  Interesting--some of the same
species, such as mourning doves, were involved across a wide range.  But
Eastern ones didn't like milo, Central ones did, as I recall.

I will try to find the study.

Anne