On Friday morning at about 10:45, I watched a light-morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK
at the intersection of West King and Sandbank Roads in south Ithaca.  The
hawk hovered and kited in the wind, a few times floating dozens of meters
straight backward as if projected from a rewinding film reel.

Then a Red-tailed Hawk flew in and struck with flashing talons at the
Rough-legged Hawk.  The two birds tumbled together a few times, eventually
settling on the ground out of my view for about 20 seconds of suspense.
Finally the hawks separated and rose to rest in some neighboring trees.  At
the same time, a bench-clearing brawl broke out, with two American Crows
attacking a second Red-tailed Hawk that had appeared out of nowhere.

Today is the start of the Great Backyard Bird Count, which runs through
Monday.  This year, participants can choose to enter GBBC sightings straight
from eBird!

Mark Chao