I arrived at the field adjacent to Mohawk Road near the intersection of
Snyder Rd. at 7:30pm.
The evening skies were cloudy.
The first Peent was heard at 7:39pm. The well spaced peents were sounding
more like "Wheent.....Wheent". Soon followed the Song Flight/ aerial
displays. The chirping,and wing twittering was an auditory delight. The
peenting was close and loud enough to be successfully recorded on my phone.
I've witnessed the AMERICAN WOODCOCK aerial displays several times in the
past, but this was the best show ever! I was able to clearly see each
entire display over and over again as the male(s) ascended each time
directly over my head. They are amazing to watch as their wings flutter and
sputter as they complete their loops and zig-zags.
I was treated to 10-12 sky dance performances. Near the end of the show
suddenly two woodcocks zipped right over me very close together making a
completely different sound. It was a vibrating
"Whomp-whomp-whomp-whomp-whomp". After reading Birds of North America Online
http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna I think it was likely one male chasing
another male but that is a guess. That was the first time I've seen that
behavior. I'm glad I always stay to the end of any kind of performance. One
never wants to leave early and miss the encore. The show ended at 8:09pm.
 I thank the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Spring Field Ornithology class
http://birds.cornell.edu/sfo and Dr. Steve Kress for first introducing me
to the woodcock flight display phenomena several years ago. Checking out
this woodcock ritual has now become one of my favorite Springtime rituals.

---- Lee Ann van Leer