Some quick highlights from a lond day of birding up Cayuga Lake and around
Montezuma:
RUDDY TURNSTONE and DUNLIN on the beach at Myers Point
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW and dozens of Bobolinks on Lake Road, Ledyard
Singing immature male ORCHARD ORIOLE on Lake Road just south of bluffs
6 COMMON TERNS at Harris Park, Cayuga
No shorebirds of note at Kip Island Fields, just lots of Dunlin and Least.
No Tricolored Heron on Wildlife Drive. Not as many shorebirds on the main
pool as yesterday (when we had 2 STILT SANDPIPERS, 1 SEMIPALMATED
SANDPIPER, 1 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, hundreds of Least Sandpipers, and 40+
Dunlin), but did have a flyover flock of 12 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS
A flyover flock of 105 BRANT at Tschache Pool
Many LEAST SANDPIPERS in Puddlers Marsh
LEAST SANDPIPERS and a flyover LAPLAND LONGSPUR but no other shorebirds at
Carncross Road.

Not sure where the bulk of the shorebirds were today, but Least Sandpipers
were everywhere. No sign of the Ruff, although we ran into a pair of
birders at Carncross who told us they saw it at Larue's on the wildlife
drive around 10 this morning. Did not get any more details or description
from them than that. It was not there at 11:30AM or in the evening when we
checked it. The TRICOLORED HERON was seen in the afternoon, but not by us.
No sign of the ibis.

-Jay

--
Jay McGowan