Wanting to ride our wave of recent luck a little longer, Tilden and I
returned to Myers Park in Lansing on Friday afternoon at about 4:30 PM.  We
don't think we saw anything particularly rare, but the birding was fun and
challenging.

Immediately upon arrival, Tilden exclaimed with surprise and had his optics
up in a split-second.  Then he paused, relaxed, and pointed out a CASPIAN
TERN, a species we haven't seen at rest so far this year.  I shared a little
of his shock to see that big red bill after scanning gull after gull these
past couple days on that beach!

Again we saw two SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, and by this time the DUNLIN
contingent had swelled to at least four birds.  I could swear that I also
saw a yellowlegs fly to the tip of the spit (big, slim gray shorebird with a
white tail) but I couldn't find it there a few seconds later.

Even more puzzling were 15 little shorebirds that I think were SEMIPALMATED
SANDPIPERS.  They all had black legs.  Their bills all were completely
straight but also quite sharply pointed.  Upperparts were much more brown
than gray (though not brightly rufous), with a lot of dark-centered
feathers.  All had very fine streaks on the breast.  My instincts were
nagging me the whole time that they were Least Sandpipers that somehow all
showed dark legs (I wondered whether the extreme cold had anything to do
with it).  In the end, though, I concluded that analytic ID should trump
impressions in this case, largely because I haven't closely studied
Semipalmated Sandpipers in breeding plumage, nor gotten a very good sense of
variation in bill shape with this species.  The field marks do seem to add
up, on the whole.  (I feel certain that these birds weren't larger Calidris
species, nor rare stints.  They did not have white rumps.)

Mark Chao