My late colleague Jack Christian documented barn and tree swallows taking the
low spread-wing posture, exposing their wings fully, on metal barn roofs on hot
summer days.  I also saw a few instances.  One possibility is that direct heat
helps drive out feather parasites and exposure to UV and heat may decrease
bacterial load on the feathers.  Actual sunning for body warmth seems very
unlikely because, like an anting bird in the sun, they often pant and look, if
anything, heat stressed.

So I favor the interpretation that they are trading off their own excessive
heating against what it might do against arthropod or bacterial parasites.

I love the mousebird story--they are truly strange and wonderful little birds
that I only partly appreciated when I lived in South Africa so long ago.

Anne