I should add that in all the years I spent scouting for the World Series of
Birding in New Jersey, in similar mixed hardwood forests at High Point and
Stokes State forest, we couldn't buy a junco! Nearly all the trillers there are
Chipping Sparrows, even in the deep forest (apparently due to the over browsing
by deer), but I recall one time I was very excited to hear a very "dreamy"
trill coming from a hemlock ravine -- I spent about 30 minutes tracking it down
(before the iPhone days) and I was surprised to find a Worm-eating Warbler!
Very humbling indeed.

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program