I wonder if anyone can comment on the usual description of oriole nesting as
"only the female weaves the nest".  I have a youngish adult male (slightly
graded color in his breast, a bit of edging on back feathers, but pretty
brilliant overall) at my house near Freeville.  He has been defending territory
for weeks.  No female seen hanging with him, although I thought I saw one or
two fly through earlier.  But starting 2 weeks ago, the male was landing in one
particular spot and I soon realized he was carrying material in his
bill...short tree flower stems mostly, I thought.  And slowly a nest has
emerged.  It is n't very pendulous, being more tucked into a spot with fine
branches.  It looks typically woven from the side I can see.

So--I think he built it himself.  If I am wrong, he started it and a female
finished it and is always inside!

Does anyone know of  males building in the absence of females?  The only other
oriole using the tree is an even younger, but definite male.  They chatter at
each other, and the younger one has tried a few song fragments.  The original
male drives him off sort of, but they also associate more peacefully.  The
second is showing no signs of interest in the nest site.  I have seen
associations between young and mature male redwinged blackbirds on the mature
male's territory, an uneasy relationship, but the mature male seemingly not
wasting time continually driving the other off. This is how I would
characterize these two.

So--comments?  I have pictures of males, nest including, I think, as he was
beginning to make it.

Anne