17th Annual Montezuma Muckrace 2013
Help celebrate the diversity of birds in the Montezuma Wetlands Complex (MWC)
by participating in the 17th annual Montezuma
Muckrace, September 6-7,2013. This “Big Day” birding event is an excellent
opportunity to test your birding skills and raise funds
for conservation in this internationally recognized Important Bird Area.
More birds and more places to see them – that’s what we’re supporting! Our goal
this year is to raise $12,000 to establish a
general fund for habitat restoration and improvement projects throughout the
complex. We are in need of building up our Habitat
Restoration/MARSH fund so that the Friends can have some flexibility to respond
to ongoing and/or unexpected needs. All funds collected will be administered by
FOTMWC in consultation with USFWS, NYSDEC, and the staff at the MAC.
Some ways the funds might be used besides supporting wetland and grassland
habitat restoration in the Complex:
-we would like to continue our support for Black Duck banding and data
collection
-matching money for grant applications
-projects that enhance access (trails, blinds, viewing platforms)
-purchase supplies to support the MARSH program (e.g. waders, GPS units, optics)
As funds are appropriated and put to use, we will post addendums to the 2013
Muckrace Musings to keep you apprised of all the
good work your donations have supported.
The 2013 Muckrace starts at 7:00 PM on September 6th and ends 24 hours later
with a brief closing ceremony at the Montezuma
Audubon Center. Each team keeps a check list of species seen within the
boundaries of the Complex for any or all of the 24-hour
period. There are several levels of participation:
Competitive (3 or more individuals who must count together);
Youth (ages 9-16, any number, identifying birds without adult assistance);
LowCarbon any number, no motorized assistance biking,walking, paddling,
sitting, etc);
Family/Mentor (any number, at least one parent/leader with any number of
young/beginning birders)
Recreational (any number of adults).
Last year, 27 teams, numbering 93 individuals from throughout New York and
neighboring states, tallied 183 species, with the
winning competitive team, the Gallinagos (Cayuga Bird Club) finding 135
species. The LowCarbon category was won by Team Sittidae (Eaton Birding
Society) with 58 species. The Family/Mentor category was won by Counting Crows,
with 66 species.
Thirteen Recreational teams also contributed to a diverse bird list and a great
time, with the top team in this category, The Plucky
Mucksters, (Cayuga Bird Club), finding 104 species. On the Friends website (see
below) you can find the complete list of species
seen in the 2012 Muckrace Musings.
Last years competition generated $13,097.00, which will fund both a viewing
platform on the Deep Muck site, and some wetland restoration along the Seneca
River. Donations are solicited through pledges sought by participants,
registration fees, and sponsorships.
Mid-September is an exciting time to be birding at the Montezuma Wetlands
Complex, one of New York's most productive birding
destinations. Please consider either participating with your own team or
pledging support to your local team.
The Muckrace is sponsored by the Friends of the Montezuma Wetlands Complex
(FOTMWC) in cooperation with USFWS, NYSDEC, and Audubon NY. To access complete
information about the 2013 Muckrace, including the registration form, the
checklist, the rules, and previous years’ newsletters, "Muckrace Musings,"
visit the FOTMWC website (http://friendsofmontezuma.org/muck_race.html).
The registration deadline is August 21, 2013.

Chris Lajewski
Education Manager
Montezuma Audubon Center