About 45 min ago, we had a group of 5 COMMON NIGHTHAWKs appear over our
neighborhood (W Meadow Dr Lansing). I first saw only 4 as I had just turned
around from spotting some Cedar Waxwing flyovers, so only got the new group
disappearing behind trees, but a good enough view of the white wing mark on two
of them to be sure. I've been out for the last two weeks every nice evening
waiting/hoping for these guys to reappear as they have the last few Augusts, so
was most gratified to have them appear tonight!

I waited for a bit, then walked from more enclosed backyard to street view
where we picked them up again, wheeling about our and adjacent yards for a few
turns. As in my extended observation of a couple years ago, they were again
(annoyingly) silent, but still graceful to watch.

Another turn around the yard and woods, trying to stay one jump ahead of the
black flies (didn't work: I'm a pincushion now) turned up a juvenile BALTIMORE
ORIOLE working high branches: I also saw an adult BAOR in wild grapes around
430pm here. I had heard two oriole phrases sung in the much diminished dawn
chorus a few days ago, so it was nice to see these guys probably for almost the
last time this season.

Then just as I was headed in, a glimpse of a flycatcher sallying from a high
bare box elder. I thought, ah, that's the Eastern Wood-Pewee I watched on
Sunday afternoon, but, like a good birder, never assume anything, so I got the
glasses on it and lo and behold, it was my first yard OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER !
Yes! after many years of swing and a miss on Phoebes, this was no doubt OSFL.
Especially after the Friday confirmed view of another at SSW, this was no doubt
in my mind a more juvenile version of same. The flanks were grayer, but showed
slight streaks; the belly and center breast and throat were quite white and
clean. Tail relatively short and no wagging. When it dipped it's head, I could
see the much darker cap. I got a bunch of pictures from almost directly below
and the bird was so obliging at returning to the same perch after multiple
sallies that I ran and got the scope and had even better looks. I was amused to
stand back and see the scope was nearly vertical but there was just no way to
get another viewpoint on this tree, as adjacent trees were just too bushy.

ChrisP

Chris Pelkie
Research Analyst
Bioacoustics Research Program