Today 2 Sept 2013, about 1330 h, a red-shouldered hawk circled over Ithaca
Country Club and Pleasant Grove Cemetery, calling loudly. It disappeared to the
east across the golf course.

 Lighting was not with me and my view of the bird was brief, but the underparts
were light, not reddish, so I assume it was a juvenile.  I gather the calls are
associated with "alarm", not just "territoriality".  They were certainly loud,
repetitious and attention getting.  Nevertheless, three well-known crows who
were watching me and my car made no moves to mob it, nor did they even give a
"heads up" call.  Curious.

Anne Clark