As Dave may remember from his days skirmishing with dog walkers at
Treman Marina, the City neither owns nor controls what happens offshore
in Cayuga Lake.  The lake bottom, and what happens above it, is
regulated solely by the state of NY.   (Unlike most bodies of water in
NYS, both Cayuga and Seneca Lakes, including the lake bottoms, are owned
by the state.)  This  which is why if you want to build a dock or boat
house over the lake, for example, you have to get permission from the
State in addition to regular building permits.  So while the City can
control who carries guns in Stewart Park, it can't keep someone from
having a gun if s/he is standing in the lake itself. The Ithaca City
Court recognized the limits of the city's power when it held the city
could not ticket off leash dogs swimming in the lake at Treman Marina:
while the city has a law against off leash dogs, as does the state park
system, the state itself does not and it is NYS that regulates the
lake.  Similarly, the city can prohibit someone from landing a boat at
Stewart Park, but unless there is some state law giving it the power to
do so, it cannot prohibit one from approaching, regardless of what the
statute says.  Finally, FWIW, Treman Marina is located geographically
within the city but as state park land, it is not subject to city laws -
the state park laws and state laws regulate what is permissible there.

Best -

                        Alicia