Just before midday on Friday, I saw a large, powerful dark bird fly from the
south end of Cayuga Lake eastbound over Route 13.  Eyes on the road, I
didn't get a great look, but I think it was a BALD EAGLE.

When I arrived at East Shore Park a couple of minutes later, the gulls were
still swirling.  I never saw the eagle again, nor any owls or rare gulls.
But the ducks continue to create quite a spectacle there, with hundreds of
Redheads, many Canvasbacks, both scaup species, Common Goldeneyes, Common
Mergansers, and others.  Perhaps most notably, I counted 36 WHITE-WINGED
SCOTERS (scope needed for half-decent viewing).

We missed it during a couple of the coldest days last month, and also on
January 30, but otherwise, the EASTERN SCREECH-OWL been appearing daily in
its nest box in our yard in northeast Ithaca.  Over the past two weeks, it
has tended to spend a lot more time in view during the day than in late
fall.

Today, the owl was moved not only to bask, but also to trill a few times in
the bright midday sun.  This was my first time ever watching an owl
vocalizing in broad daylight.  I managed to get this photo of the bird in
mid-trill.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114049026073343451957/albums/5291963262350115
713/5977718048716253954?pid=5977718048716253954
<https://plus.google.com/photos/114049026073343451957/albums/529196326235011
5713/5977718048716253954?pid=5977718048716253954&oid=114049026073343451957>
&oid=114049026073343451957

Mark Chao

---
is active.