Tilden and I went out on Monday afternoon to look for birds in observance of
the Great (Global) Backyard Bird Count.  Here are some highlights.

1.  Burdick Hill Road, Lansing

The light-morph female ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was perching in the lone tree in
the big field on the south side of the road at 1:30 and again at 4:45 PM.
We are 5-for-5 in our latest attempts to find this hawk in this exact
location over the past three weeks.

2.  Indian Field Road

Not quite patient enough to scan all the white expanses, we found no Snowy
Owls on utility poles or dairy rooftops between Route 90 and Poplar Ridge
Road.  We did enjoy lots of HORNED LARKS and SNOW BUNTINGS, plus at least
one AMERICAN KESTREL.

3.  Wells College boathouse

We found one female RED-BREASTED MERGANSER out on the water, but otherwise,
not as many birds as I was expecting.  In retrospect, I'm most surprised not
to have seen any American Black Ducks here.

4.  Long Point State Park

This site laid an unexpected claim to the top four sightings of the day:  an
adult BALD EAGLE high over the water; seven TUNDRA SWANS flying ponderously
past and alighting in the cove to the north; our first AMERICAN WIGEON of
the year; and best of all, a FOX SPARROW seen with Song Sparrows,
White-throated Sparrows, and juncos in a skirt of exposed grass under a tree
near the entrance.  Backlighting precluded a good look at the Fox Sparrow's
colors, but I did distinguish its facial pattern (very dark overall, without
striped look of Song and White-throated) and bold side streaks (helping to
further rule out White-throated).  Larger size than that of the other
sparrows, as well as conspicuous kick-scratching, helped confirm the ID.

We also saw our first two AMERICAN ROBINS of 2014, and heard a singing
CAROLINA WREN.

Mark Chao

---
is active.