A year or two ago, I put chicken wire around our double-caged
suet-feeder (suet cage inside a bigger feeder cage) to stop the
red-squirrel from sitting inside all day and excluding birds from the
suet. This frustrated the squirrel all right, and small birds could get
in and out. But I noticed that sometimes when trying to get out fast,
they could scrape & perhaps damage their flight feathers. So I took the
chicken wire off. Especially since a Carolina Wren pair  loves to come
to the suet. (This Feb we have had only one of the pair coming.)
Two-inch mesh chicken wire is too large to keep the squirrel out.

An interesting observation: the Red-br Nuthatch pair were the first to
figure out how to get in through  the ch-wire, then chickadees and
carolina wrens. But the goldfinches just could never figure out that
they had to perch and get in before they could get to the suet. They
kept going round and round, never got in.

Nari Mistry, Ellis Hollow Rd.