This may be of interest to the discussion. I cannot find it now, but there was
one other common berry (Serviceberry?  I think not) connected with waxwing
suicides against glass.  We have had regular deaths on (stupid) reflecting
glass (-my hawk shapes do help)  when the birds ate off one tree that I believe
as service berry.  Now the tree has been sacrificed to an underground water
system, problem solved.

Anne

Vet Med Int. 2010; 2010: 818159.
Published online Dec 9, 2010. doi:  10.4061/2010/818159
PMCID: PMC3005831
Feeding Behavior-Related Toxicity due to Nandina domestica in Cedar Waxwings
(Bombycilla cedrorum)

Moges Woldemeskel* and Eloise L. Styer
Author information ► Article notes ► Copyright and License information ►
Go to:
Abstract

Dozens of Cedar Waxwings were found dead in Thomas County, Georgia, USA, in
April 2009. Five of these were examined grossly and microscopically. Grossly,
all the examined birds had pulmonary, mediastinal, and tracheal hemorrhages.
Microscopically, several tissues and organs were diffusely congested and
hemorrhagic. Congestion and hemorrhage were marked in the lungs. Intact and
partly digested berries of Nandina domestica Thunb. were the only ingesta found
in the gastrointestinal tract of these birds. Due to their voracious feeding
behavior, the birds had eaten toxic doses of N. domestica berries. N. domestica
contains cyanide and is one of the few berries readily available at this time
of the year in the region. The gross and microscopic findings are consistent
with lesions associated with cyanide toxicity. This paper for the first time
documents toxicity associated with N. domestica in Cedar Waxwings.