As I stepped out of the truck in my driveway at 1545 yesterday, the barky
honking of a large ‘disorganized’ flock of SNOW GOOSE was heard overhead.
I did a quick count of a subset and estimated about 400. They were relatively
low (under 1000’ probably).
I grabbed binocs but only had time to look carefully at about 100 of them: all
were white, not blue, and no obvious Ross in there.
They were headed north.
It was great to see them in good light, somewhat surprising to have them flying
in a stiff SW or W wind, and somewhat unusual for them to be overhead of my
house.
However, the other sightings of flocks over SSW at 2 and in Lansing later
suggest this was not the only group yesterday.

I am hopeful we get a big collection on the northerly end of the lake so would
also appreciate early birders’ reporting conditions up there.

ChrisP

Chris Pelkie
Research Analyst
Bioacoustics Research Program