May 2nd, and still very slow around my place in West Danby. Yesterday brought
my first Ovenbird, a Chipping Sparrow, and two Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, but I'm
not finding any other new arrivals. Possibly I'm missing a few that are kept
quiet by the low temperature...

There are lots of Hermit Thrushes in their favorite ravines, along with
Blue-headed Vireos, Louisiana Waterthrush, plenty of Turkeys and Ruffed Grouse.
Several Winter Wrens are hanging around. Brown Thrasher(s) singing daily,
Purple Finches and Ruby-crowned Kinglets are sprinkled about, Mallards and Wood
Ducks and Great Blue Herons visit my pond (just a short hop for them from the
big beaver swamp by the West Danby Fire Station). But the bass haven't yet
risen from the depths.

At this leaf-out time it's really striking to see all the death among the
multiflora roses!

-Geo