I spent a little over an hour at the FLLT Goetchius Preserve this morning, and
saw/heard a number of nice birds:

Brown Thrasher pair, one singing up high while the other foraged on the ground
underneath it
Eastern Meadowlark pair (one singing)
Ruby-crowned Kinglets

Shorebirds:
Killdeer
Great & Lesser Yellowlegs (nice to see them together and notice the size
difference)
SOLITARY SANDPIPER (don't recall this species being mentioned before, but maybe
it has…certainly a first of the year for me)

I had my best look ever of Wilson's Snipe displaying: I heard the bird (maybe
two) calling within minutes of arriving. Later on my way back I was admiring
the shorebirds, when a bird flew fairly low down across my field of view and I
could easily see its long bill. Watching it through binocs, I saw it flip up
its wings briefly in flight then begin calling, then it began circling higher
and higher into the sky and I was able to follow it as it intermittently spread
its tail in flight and that's what's responsible for the winnowing sound. It
was still displaying when I left 10-15 minutes later.

A buteo was circling overhead against a white/grey sky, giving few ID cues, but
it DID have a bold white subterminal band on the underside of its tail, plus in
my mind's eye I saw darkish underwings, so I'm going to call it a
Red-shouldered Hawk.

Sparrows were well represented with Savannah, Song, Field, and Swamp all heard
singing.

And the usual suspects...

Quite a delightful outing.

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA

Phone  607-539-6608
e-mail   m...@cornell.edu

http://www.marieread.com

Author of Sierra Wings: Birds of the Mono Lake Basin    Available here:

http://marieread.photoshelter.com/gallery/Sierra-Wings-Birds-of-the-Mono-Lake-Basin/G0000NlCxX37uTzE