At about 1230pm at the NW corner of the SSW pond, in a tree where I have seen
Least Flycatchers in the spring several times, I had what I assumed at first
was this year’s FOY (for me) of same (knowing others already have reported one
at SSW). However, from a rather close distance and with 10x binocs in good
light, what I actually saw had a quite yellow front side (throat, belly,
underside) and a yellow-olive back side and the eye ring was also yellowish. It
was definitely a smallish flycatcher; no vocalizations. I think therefore that
it was a YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER. Sorry for not posting sooner but I wanted
to review images of Least to see if they tend to occasionally show more yellow
than the plain buff I am used to seeing. I can’t find any evidence they do, but
stand to be corrected.

I was pleased to also find 2 NORTHERN WATERTHRUSHes calling (‘chick’) but not
singing from either side of the trail just where it bends at the Fuller
boardwalk. These were not my FOYs, but I’ve not seen them in this marshy area
before. One hopped up for good looks while the other hid behind the huge willow
tree there.

At home this afternoon, I did get my FOY NASHVILLE WARBLER (nice to get one for
the home team as the first of year) as well as my SOYY (second of year yard)
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER(s). Then Martha came out and while we were looking at our
first of year Female (no less, and unaccompanied) ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK, she
also spotted a yellow breasted tail pumper in a hemlock which indeed was a PALM
WARBLER.

Our resident YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER has discovered to his delight that the
metal eave trough just above the bedroom window makes a resounding and
satisfying racket when pecked vigorously at 530 am. for 15 mins at least.

ChrisP